Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
19th, Friday Reach Chandigarh and follow the route below.
- Chandigarh – Jammu/Patnitop (Overnight Halt) Sat
- Jammu/Patnitop – Srinagar (Overnight Halt) Sun
- Srinagar – Kargil/Drass (Overnight Halt) Mon
- Kargil/Drass – Lamayuru – Leh (Overnight Halt) Tuesday
- Leh – Khardung La – Diskit - Nubra Valley – Hunder – Diskit (Overnight Halt) Wednesday
- Hunder/Diskit – Pangong Tso (Overnight Halt) Thursday
- Pangong Tso - Sarchu (Overnight Halt) Friday
- Sarchu - Manali (Overnight Halt) Saturday
- Manali - Chandigarh Sunday
From above, it looks like we are definitely short by a day. For distance between the places refer to the map below.
It would be ideal if we extend the trip by 2 days or at least 1 day, I think we need to adjust a day be either arriving Chandigarh a day early or leaving Chandigarh a day late.
Stopovers in detail
Going to Leh : Chandigarh to leh via Srinagar is more than 1000 Kms. We will need to cover this with 3 overnight stops in between. Cab required from 20/07 early morning to 27/07 Evening/night, total 8 days.
- 19th 9 PM we should be in Chandigargh. We have two options
- we can halt over night and start at 4 AM in the morning.
- Or leave in night, although I don’t see any significant advantage here but we would be covering plains during night, ghat section should be minimal.
- After Chandigarh, we can halt overnight, 20th either in Jammu or Patnitop or decide elsewhere.
- First option - Chandigarh to Jammu is 343 km – will take over 6 hours. Try to reach before 12:00 Noon.
- Or second option - Chandigarh to Patnitop 411 km – over 7 hours. Reach before 2:00 PM>
- I don’t know what places to visit here, may be just relax and see scenery around hotel
- Advantage of breaking here instead of Jammu is that we can reach Srinagar early and spend more time there.
- Leave early morning by 5 AM To Srinagar - 184 km – Over 4 hours Route Map
- Reach Srinagar 21st. Try to reach before 11:30 AM. (BSF stay)
- We can visit Gulmarg if time permits its 51.1 km from Sri nagar – about 1 hour 15 mins. Spend and hour or two.
- Visit Dal lake or Nageen lake, both of them are close by but Dal lake has more tourists and is bigger.
- 22nd head towards Kargil leave by - 205 km, over 5 hours.
- Visit sonamarg on the way.
- Reach Kargil, break out in hotel.
- 23rd start for Leh 215 km – over 6 hours. Leave early by 5:30 AM
- 23 reach Leh town, break at hotel. Evening visit local places around. Overnight stay
- 24 Nubra (124 km – about 3 hours 18 mins). Leh – Khardung La – Diskit - Nubra Valley – Hunder – Diskit (Overnight Halt)
- 25th from Nubra reach Pangong(185 km – about 4 hours 22 mins) Hunder/Diskit – Pangong Tso (Overnight Halt)
- MISS out Tso Moriri
Back to Chandigarh : Although the distance back through Manali is about 800 Kms, I think our stay in Manali may be pointless.
- 26th early morning start for Manali 474 km – about 13 hours 35 mins
- This is going to be difficult, we may have to break at Sarchu or some place in between
- If we halt at Sarchu, we will have to extend by a day
- 27th Manali to Chandigarh 305 km – about 5 hours 30 mins
Head back to Bangalore on 28th.
Some Photos on flickr
A nice read on Why you should travel via Srinagar to Leh instead of